Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Welcome home ... here's a one-outer for you!

Don't you love coming home, back to what you know and familiarity?
Since I've been back in Melbourne I've been to Crown twice ... the first time booking a small win & the second running into a one-outer, culminating in a loss which was a bigger swing in the wrong direction.
The hand in question saw me raise to $10 UTG+1 in a $2/3 game with QQ. The cutoff puts in $3 for the call, only for the dealer to tell him its actually $10, so he calls. The big blind comes along for the ride as well. The flop is 998 (with two clubs), which is decent for me (as long as no-one has a 9), so I lead for $17. The cutoff calls & the BB folds. I figure that the caller has some kid of hand - an 8, a flush or straight draw, or possibly a 9. I have about $70 behind at this stage (yes, it had been one of those nights) & am delighted to see a queen on the turn. I decide to be tricky (though in hindsight it would make no difference) & check-call my opponent's $25 bet. The plan is to shove the river for my remaining $40+ & with the pot so big my opponent pretty much has to call, insuring a double-up for me ... but things didn't go according to plan. River ... 9. I slide my small stack forward & as soon as I release it, my opponent says call. I know he has the 9! My heart sinks, I announce 'a 9 is good' as I dejectedly turn over my queens full. Of course he turns over J9o to take the pot, to the 'oooohs' & 'ahhhs' & other comments of those at the table. Of course the villain in the hand then proceeded to tell the table how that sort of thing never happens to him & how he is always on the receiving end of bad beats & never gives them ... of course having played with him on multiple occasions, I know the opposite is true, though perhaps he doesn't consider it a bad beat if his opponent's cards are not shown.
Poker is fun ... for everyone ...
Next: Back in the saddle ... oh & if anyone knows where to find some run good, PLEASE let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment