Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Running bad, folding aces & making a profit

Decided to go to the Rio today to play the $200 1pm daily deepstack event they have there. It looks like it has a pretty decent structure, 30 minute levels, 15k start stack & the fields are growing by the day. There were 431 today, with the top 45 being paid. Of course I did my usual trick in tournaments & ran horribly. I ran top pair into aces, top pair (as pre-flop raiser) into top two pair & eventually got my money in pre-flop with KJ suited against 67o. The flop came down KQ2 rainbow, which you would think was a safe flop, but of course my opponent found running 6s to send me out. Standard!
I then went to the cash section & played some $1/3NL (the $10/20 mixed game that I would have preferred was not running). Things were going well, until of course I ran JJ into AA. The player with AA had limp-called pre-flop & check-raised the 952 flop, bet the T turn & checked the Q river ... and of course check-called my river bet! This meant I had to start over again (with half the stack) & it went well for the most part. There was one hand where I made what some people might consider to be a big fold ... 2 limpers in front of my & I raise to $12 in the hijack with AA. I get called by the big blind only. We are both about $450 or so deep (150BBs). Flop comes 976 rainbow & she leads for $20. I raise to $45 & she 3-bets it to $105 total. She seemed to be playing reasonably solid without getting out of line much at all, so I simply dumped the hand, figuring I was probably behind ... and even if I wasn't there weren't too many turn cards that I would be overjoyed with (with the possible exception of an Ace, though even then I'm still behind T* for the flopped straight). Eventually I left with a little over 100BBs in profit, so not a bad day at the 'office', in spite of the horrible tournament run continuing.
Next on the agenda: Back to the Rio ... cash games & possibly a satellite for the HORSE

No comments:

Post a Comment