Friday, October 1, 2010

Another chess post

Yes, I know its primarily a poker blog, but I thought I'd put up some recent chess news.
1. I played another tournament game ... and lost. This was another game in the Victorian teams Championship, against the City of Yarra team.
Thankfully the rest of the team compensated for my loss, with one win & two draws, to finish with a tied match (2-2).
2. The Chess Olympiad is well and truly underway. Australia is just above the middle in both the open & womens sections, which is about where they are expected to be. Hopefully they can have good finishes & move up the standings.
One of the craziest (and most interesting) games of the Olympiad occurred in the round 7 clash between Ukraine & Georgia, with Vassily Ivanchuk winning in spectacular, though somewhat unusual sytle. The game, with analysis, can be seen at Chessbase.
The best Australian game so far has been Zong-Yuan Zhao's win against Moldova's Viktor Bologan, which can be viewed at the official Olympiad site.
The best 'frontline' reading that I have done has come from Australia's board 2 David Smerdon, who has been writing about his chess adventures on his blog. Also worth a look is Shaun Press' blog.
For a more lighthearted look at the Olympiad (and the world of chess generally), take a look at the Closet Grandmaster's blog.
3. I have recently started playing in an online chess tournament, somewhat ironically organised by posters at the 2+2 poker forums. All the games are being played on FICS. So far my best win has been a typical Blackmar-Diemer gambit destruction, which can be seen here (no idea who added the comments, but some of the lines given seem a bit dubious). Of course as someone who is looking to improve their poker game, 2+2 is an excellent place to do this, however the fact that I am spending most of my time of late in the chess forum there is not quite helping the cause as it should be.
Anyway, best of luck to the Aussies in the Olympiad ... and back to the poker for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment