Tuesday, May 18, 2010

USA Day 13

Another cash in an 8 game tournament!
Decided to fork out for the $1k 8 game tourney at Commerce today. The event ended up having 19 starters, including 'Miami' John Cernuto & David 'Chino' Rheem to name just two. I thought I played pretty well, doing my usual thing of trying to pick my spots, as well as finding some run good when needed. Also managed to stay out of the way of trouble hands & spots for the most part, even if it meant I may not have accumulated as quickly as I did. Maybe its just my risk-adverse nature that makes me want to avoid the 'gambling' spots.
Anyway I managed to make the final table & when we got down to 4-handed after eliminating the short stacks we started talking about deals. Personally I preferred the option of reducing the prize money for 1st & 2nd to crate a 4th place prize (the original payout was 1st-3rd with 4th being the money bubble), though one of the players was strongly against that. That player was talking about a chop based on chip count that ended the tournament (rather than playing it out). Of course this was all put on hold as one of the players got shorter & shorter ... but talks were resumed when the short stack managed to survive 2 or 3 all-ins & clawed his way back to close to average.
In the end I officlally took 2nd place, which saw me collect the main event seat & around $2700 in cash (yes, after the silly 7% 'out of state' tax withholding).
I guess that means I'll be playing the main event in a few days. Might also consider another tourney or two in between, but it definitely lifts my mood from the horrible run at Hollywood Park the previous day.
Next on the agenda: more poker ... and a main event later in the week!

No comments:

Post a Comment