Tuesday, May 11, 2010

USA Day 6

H.O.R.S.E. at the Commerce.
Played the HORSE tournament in the California State Poker Championships today. There was a total of 89 runners & I managed to finish 20th, which was a reasonable result, but still 2 tables short of the money (top 8 got paid), so somewhat disappointing. Very much a rollercoaster day. Got off to a reasonable start, then fell into a bit of a slump before the second break, but hit a purple patch shortly afterwards, going from a stack of around 4k to about 13k (4k starting stack).
Two big hands turned my tournament in the opposite direction - the first was a Razz hand where it was 3-ways to the river & I had 6542A to my opponents 6532A (the third player mucked their 7 on the river without calling) for a pot of about 10k! This was compounded shortly afterwards by a slowroll in Stud hi-lo. With my opponent's board showing A4A6 I had a pair of aces and 4 to a flush on 6th street (no low). I paired up on the river to have Aces & 9s. After I turned over my hand, my opponent turned over a 6, then a 4 ... and then paused for about 3-4 seconds ... before turning over his river card ... which was a 6 to give him the winning hand (sixes full of aces), which dropped my down to around 4k again. After making the final three tables (where everyone redrew for seats) with just 3.6k (and playing 800-1600) I managed to hit some hands & dodge some bullets to build it up to almost 10k by the time Omaha hi-lo had finished. Stud however was not kind to me & I dropped a large pot to another player which left my with only 600 in chips! I would survive another 3 all-ins before finally getting my money in badly in Razz with Q42 v 43A ... eventually drawing a pair of kings & another queen (yes, I did make a queen-low), only to be crushed by my opponent's 7-low.
The play varied greatly, with some decent players in the field, however there were still a large number of total fish playing, many of whom luckboxed their way to the final few tables. Either way I think it puts me in a good frame of mind for tomorrow's 8-game tournament (the first held at Commerce) as I suspect the 2-7 triple draw will be one of the worst played games in the mox by a long way & could be a great time to pick up some chips if things go my way.
Next on the agenda: crushing 8-game

No comments:

Post a Comment