Friday, May 21, 2010

USA Day 16

Now with iPod Touch!
Decided to go shopping this afternoon & picked up an iPod Touch. I like the larger screen size, but am particularly interested in the various apps that are available for it. Yes I already have an iPod classic, but that is limited in its uses - it plays music & video, but does little else. I briefly flirted with the idea of buying an iPad, but it just doesn't seem to be anything in particular. Its not portable enough to be an iPod style MP3 player plus, yet its also not sustantial enough to be a laptop substitute. Anyway, iPod Touch it is. I've already put a few useful poker apps on it (as well as some non-poker ones), but any suggestions for other apps that are worth adding would be greatly appreciated.
As for poker, I played a few hours of $2/3 NLHE at the Bike tonight & picked up a tidy little profit of $200, in spite of a few beats & major sweats.
The big beat of the night was with good old Big Slick (suited mind you!). I raised on the button after a few limpers & 4 of us saw a flop of KT8. I bet about 2/3rds pot & got one caller. The turn was the innocent-looking 2d (though it did bring a diamond draw) & I bet a bit over half pot & was again called. The river was the 4d & my opponent lead out for about 1/3rd pot ($45 on the end). The only hands that made sense for him in this spot (check-calling to the river & then leading at the river) were either a rivered flush or a set, with the flush being much more likely. I figured there wouldn't be much else that he could play that way (if he had 2 pair he most lilely would have raised the flop with a hand like KT) & was expecting him to turn over the flush or a worse king after I made the call. Of course he turned over K4 for a rivered 2 pair! FML indeed!
The sweat of the evening was relatively brief, but definitely concerning while it was a sweat. I picked up AA under-the-gun & made it $10 to go. The cutoff raised to $35. I thought for a while & re-raised to $75 & the cutoff snap-shoved his remaining stack into the middle (roughly $140 total). I called (obviously), but was about ready to throw up in my mouth when I saw the flop: KQ9! In my mind the snap-shove would most likely be either the other AA, KK or QQ ... so I'm probably now either crushed or chopping. When the board ran out with two low cards I turned over my aces, expecting to see a set, however the delay from my opponent was something I wanted to see. he reluctantly showed his hand ... pocket jacks! I scooped the pot worth a little under $300. All in all a reasonable evening.
Next on the agenda: California State Champs Main Event at the Commerce!

No comments:

Post a Comment